Thursday, September 23, 2010

FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN.....

President Abraham Lincoln gave his "Gettysburg Address" to a crowd massed at this location. It probably was his shortest speech as president. He composed it on the back of an envelope while traveling from Washington D.C. by train. The Battle of Gettysburg was not the bloodiest of the Civil War but it take more lives in the shortest period of time of any of the battles that raged for four long years. As I stood on this spot and read the address I was reminded how important it is to avoid armed conflict. The lineages of many families stopped on the fields surrounding this spot and America was never the same again. What price liberty?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.