Wednesday, August 24, 2011

LIGHT TAN GYPSUM NATIONAL MONUMENT

Formerly known as White Sands National Monument, it is neither white nor sand. For years this cruel hoax has been perpetrated by authorities to cover up someone's mistaken identification, probably by observing photos,  that this huge area in the southern New Mexico desert is composed of sand. In fact, it is gypsum! On sunny days it might be considered white like normal gypsum but on my visit it's true color was exposed. See for yourself.
 The photo below is of a young couple taking photos on their vacation, maybe honeymoon. They were very affectionate with each other and seemed to be enjoying their visit. I shouted to them that I had taken this photo and left my card on their windshield and yelled I would gladly send them a copy if they would contact me. We'll see.
Near this location the first atomic bomb was detonated in 1945. The "Trinity Site" can be visited only twice a year and I've wanted to visit it but this was not the time.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.