Tuesday, November 02, 2010

FINALLY!


FINALLY! After 56 years, 52 of which was spent in San Francisco, the Giants won the World Series last night. After all of the great teams, managers, staff, and many excellent players including several Hall of Famers, this "rag-tag" team put it all together this year. They had to go down to the last game of the regular season to get in the playoffs. No one, including me, ever expected they would take it all. Great teams fell this year in the playoffs and the Giants and Rangers were the two unexpected competitors.


My first major league game was in May 1963. It was an afternoon game at Candlestick Park. I had to leave at the end of the 5th inning because it was so cold! Mark Twain said it best when he described "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". From that day on I have been a Giants fanatic.


A.T. and T. Park was completed in 2000 and it is without a doubt the most beautiful baseball park in America. It's design and location make it a spectacular place to watch a game. My wife, son, and grandson and I have attended several games.


The cap featured in today's post is covered in pins that I started collecting at each of the home games that my son and I would attend. The cap became so heavy and the backing on the pins scratched my head so I just brought the cap and wore something else or just bought a pin and brought it home.


No Giant fan will ever forget this year. "Wait 'til next year" has been a refrain that the San Francisco Giant fans have repeated for over 50 years. Well, next year they will be referred to as "The World Champion San Francisco Giants". FINALLY!


Please click one of the boxes below to make a quick one-word comment.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.