Tuesday, June 03, 2008

GUANAJUATO, MEXICO

Guanajuato is a state in the central highlands of Mexico. It shares its name with the capital city. Guanajuato means "place of frogs" in the local indigenous language. The local Tarascan Indians believed that the frog represented the god of wisdom. A rock formation outside the city looks like frogs. Today, Guanajuato's mines are still among  the richest-producing silver mines in the world (historically one of the largest). The area also produces tin, gold, copper, lead, mercury, and opals. It also leads the nation in shoe production and various farm products such as lettuce and potatoes. The first battle in Mexico's war for independence was fought here. My wife and I visited here in 2003 while attending a wedding in nearby San Luis Potosi. Visit this wonderful city.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.