Thursday, May 29, 2008

IT WAS A MESS FOR A WHILE



This is downtown Santa Cruz, CA in 1991. Much of the town was destroyed in a 1989 earthquake. When the buildings were torn down it was clear that the main street needed to be re-built. There were at least 5 layers of streets that were uncovered and sewer pipes made from hollowed out redwood tree trunks were also discovered. The town was kind of "hippy" funky for several years but that is over now. New big box stores and tree lined streets makes it look very very different that it looked in the past. I'm glad it looks good but I miss the old Santa Cruz.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.