Tuesday, December 06, 2005

THE BASILICA NUESTRA SENORA

The Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Guanajuato, with two mismatched church towers and a decorative baroque portal. Behind the basilica's altar is a silver pedestal supporting a statue of the Virgin Mary, given to the town in 1557 as a token of appreciation for enriching the Spanish crown. Huge deposits of silver were discovered in Guanajuato and a few people got very rich. They built the city in a rich Spanish motif and it has remained that way for centuries. My wife and I really enjoyed our visit to Guanajuato. If you'd like to visit the city send us an email and we'd be happy to give you info about what to expect.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.