Friday, April 10, 2015

ARANA GULCH • SANTA CRUZ, CALIFORNIA


Arana Gulch Open Space is one of the most controversial and celebrated parks in Santa Cruz. I used to be the supervisor responsible for the maintenance of the area. Several people have been lobbying for this area to be kept open and undeveloped ostensibly to protect an endangered plant, the California Coastal Tar Plant. Many bicyclists wanted a path through the area so people could get from one side of Santa Cruz to the other without having to go out into heavy traffic. After over 20 years of planning the area opened up a month ago with bike paths and barbed wire fencing to protect the tar plant and keep cattle grazing there from getting away. It's very heavily used now and most of the comments are not positive in the sense the people talking are the ones that wanted to keep as much development as possible to a minimum.
Shot with iPhone 4S

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.