Thursday, March 07, 2013

ROOTING FOR THIS TREE



For several years I have been visiting Nicene Marks State Park in Santa Cruz County. Every time I drove by this tree I found its root system to be quite beautiful and so unusual since it is virtually totally exposed. I had been meaning to try and capture the beauty but for whatever reason I didn't. Now I see the tree appears slated for removal as indicated by spray paint marks at the base. The hillside has been eroding for a long time and I guess it was just a matter of time and weather before everything would come down on the road. A very heavily used road into the park and a small development nearby. So here's my attempt to chronicle its beauty and what was there before "things"change. The main benefit of trees is soil stabilization and this one did what it could for a long time.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.