Saturday, October 27, 2012

END OF THE WHARF • END OF AN ERA


I used to enjoy the scenery from the "end of the wharf" in Santa Cruz, California. The rhythmic cadence of the waves beating on the pilings below my feet. The squawking of gulls overhead competing with the bark of seals basking on the crossbeams just above the water holds imagery more vivid than most of my memories. Alas, "you can't stop progress" has claimed another mom and pop business. The City of Santa Cruz has decided not to renew the lease on this building in favor of expansion plans of a nearby restaurant. Hey! They need the revenue! True. Sad.

These photographs were taken about a year apart. The lower on was shot for a class I was taking at Cabrillo and the top one during a recent visit. Sad to see it go but "time and progress waits for no one".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nooooooooooooooooo!

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.