Thursday, December 08, 2011

WOODSMAN PUT DOWN THAT AXE





These fisheye photos of a Coastal Live Oak (Quercus agrifolia) were taken in preparation for a presentation to the City of Santa Cruz (California) Parks and Recreation Commission. As the City's Arborist I was charged with maintaining and protecting the City's Heritage Tree Ordinance. The owner of this tree requested a permit to remove it because it was protected by the ordinance that I helped draft. 


The tree was too messy for the owner and the neighbor so they agreed to split the cost of removing it. The owner applied for a permit for removal and it was denied. The owner then appealed my decision to the Parks and Recreation Commission. 


I have a little "show biz" in my blood so I often used unusual and graphic ways to portray trees to the Commission in hopes that the beauty and stature of the tree(s) would sway their decision. It often was a successful ploy. 


In this case I used an old Nikon Coolpix 4500 with a fisheye lens because the tree was growing in a very confined space. The lens captured the majority of the tree while depicting it in a rather striking way.  The Commission sustained my denial and tree is still standing today.


Chalk one of for trees!





No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.