Monday, August 15, 2011

DOWN FOR THE COUNT

 Vincent J. Garcia. He was a highly touted and ranked professional boxer. He was murdered and his final resting place is  located in a desolate graveyard adjacent to US25 in Albuquerque, NM.
 Mr. Garcia was a much loved and appreciate man of only 20 years old when he passed away. This is the most unusual gravesite I have ever seen. The locale is so unkempt and poorly marked it is difficult to tell if there is a body buried right under you feet. Several of the headstones were very simple. Most of the graves were only noted by a singular wood cross or concrete poured in a rectangular shape with words scratch in to identify the deceased. 
 I was drawn to the location when I was driving to my old house. I have always found cemeteries compelling and interesting especially in the Hispanic culture. The markers are very personal and portray the deceased by personal reminders of favorite possessions. This ring had rosaries hanging from the ropes, a bicycle leaning against one of the posts, bottles of alcohol, and two sets of boxing gloves hanging in corners. A representation of Mr. Garcia ala "Zig-Zag" man is painted in the center of the ring slab and a rock is placed on top of the boxing glove on the right hand. I stood around the ring for an hour or more just trying to take it all in. Mr. Garcia obviously had a significant impact on the lives of many people. 
Here is a website that explains, in detail, much more about the life of a young man that was stopped short and went down for the count.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Santa Cruz, CA, United States
I am a very shy introverted photographer. My psycho-therapist says that I may be able to come out of my shell almost any time now.